Friday, January 15, 2016

Windy Beach: "I’m a Scandinavian unicorn"

Photo: Anete Palmik
Good morning! Lets wake up with a very cool and colorful interview. Here are the answers of WINDY BEACH
Name: Tuuli Rand aka WINDY BEACH. Like, seriously. My names direct translation is WINDY BEACH. No joke. :D
Birthday: 01.03.1990 (It's soon, so be ready to party with me!)
Height: 1.68
Favorite color: PANTONE Holographic
Favorite food: Strawberries
Where are you right now? In my rehearsal room in Telliskivi
3 things that make you happy: Family, Friends, Makin music
What’s your strangest talent? I think I’m the boss of iPhones iMovie app. *Laughing :D
What is the strangest thing you have in your room? Hockeymask and 2 golden wigs
What are you really good at? Singing
What are you really bad at? Choosing between things. I’m the worst store buddy, cause I wanna see all the things there is and only then I want to make a decision.
Childhood idol: My Mom! But when I was a little girl I was a fan of Spice Girls. I didn’t have a favorite; I wanted to be all the Spices. :D
Childhood memory: I was 4-5 and my brother Taavi was 9. He sang a song and then I just told him “Don’t jell like that!” and then I started singing myself. So yeah. Diva is in me. :D
Tell me something no one knows about you: Oh no. Shhh* I’m planning to release my first EP soon... Don’t tell anyone!
What would you do if you were invisible? I would go and watch how Beyonce or Jessie Ware writes songs. I would like to see the process, how they build a song and how long does it take for them.
Favorite movie: Ahhh meeeeen.. Well I like movies. A lot. But my fave’s are Pulp Fiction and Anchorman
Favorite TV series: New Girl
Tell me a super power you wish you had: What is a superpower? I think everyone must be a hybrid-person now-a-days so, I think everyone has multiple superpowers. :D But as like a “superpower”, then teleportation.
What is your guilty pleasure? K. I know it sounds weird, but I like listening to Louis CK when I’m walkin around in town with my headphones on. Stand-up comedy makes me so happy! Seriously.
Name a song that never fails to make you happy: Right now, as I’m answering, I’m listening to Kendrick Lamar - Untitled 2 (Live from Jimmy Fallon Show). I love that song right now!!!
When did you start singing? When I was 3 I’ll guess. My mom is a music teacher so that wasn’t a big deal, cause I was raised in music. But she never forced me to sing. I danced at some point more than I sang, so my mom believed in me whatever I did and I’m really grateful to her for that!
Can you teach me some interesting words in estonian? My favourite word is “sõbrad” it means “friends”.  And as I’m form Saaremaa, that is an Island in Estonia, we have like our own language there. We’re like American’s have Texans, Saarlased are like that in Estonia. We talk funny and we have our own words like: “sokipöisel” so that means like “you’re on your socks” or being without your shoes and you only have socks on. :D
How would you describe yourself as an artist?
I would like to think that I’m a Scandinavian unicorn, who brings together power and fragile nature of a young woman and puts it in her own music.

You are one of the participants of Eesti laul 2016. How did it all begin?
Well, I have been in Eesti Laul before couple of times. With Vöörad, and with Teele/Tuuli/Ula. And I really like that caroussel. So this year I started my solocareer, send couple of my songs and “Salty wounds” was the chosen one.
“Salty wounds” is the title of your song, what’s the story behind it? What made you write it?
It’s co-written with Priit Uustulnd aka ULA and Mari Tamm, who is the author of the lyrics. Mari’s words are beautiful, they’re music to my ears and I start hearing melodies to Mari’s words.
I think everybody should make their own “story” behind the song. Because I put my own feeling into the song, when I’m singing and I know Mari put totally other feelings behind it, when she was writing this song. But yeah, I would like people to make their own little movie behind “Salty wounds” Just try. Try for me. It would make me happy!  :)

Describe the song with 4 words:
Letting go, fresh starts, passion, hurt.

What can we expect to see on stage for the performance?
I’m not alone there. That’s all I’m going to say..
Do you already know what you are going to wear for the semifinal? Any hint?
Not yet, But I think something custom made and something pretty awesome!

What do you like about Eurovision?
I like that you can do all crazy things on the stage. I like when I have opportunities to play around and to entertain people.

What do you dislike about Eurovision?
Maybe the voting on Eurovision. I don’t like that it’s so neighbor country based, or at least it show’s off sometimes like that.
Tell me the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word:
Rain: Umbrella
Fear: Parachute
Watermelon: Green
Nightmare: Running away from somebody
Glitter: WINDY BEACH
Dreams: My first album
What are your plans for 2016?
Well, as I secretly told u before, I’m planning to release my first EP on february and gonna release the video for this song also. Then I’m gonna see, how it’s gonna go in Eesti Laul and after that whatever life brings. I’m opened for everything. And I’m planning a full album in the fall/winter also, so gonna get back to writing after Eesti Laul. :)

Is there anything you want to say to close the interview?
Do whatever makes you happy!
Photo: Anni Viskus
Thanks to Windy Beach for her awesome answers! Wish her good luck!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/windybeachmusic
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/windybeachofficial/

No comments:

Post a Comment