Wednesday, January 6, 2016

I Wear* Experiment: The most nerd'ish band in Estonia

Time for our first Eesti laul interview! Here are the answers from I WEAR* EXPERIMENT:
Name: Hando Jaksi
Birthday: 16.02.
Height: 182cm
Favorite color: Grey
Favourite food: Pasta
What do you do in the band: I play guitar, bass, keyboards, lately as we just finished recording our debut album the main "job" has been hunderds of hours of editing.
Where are you right now? I'm in the studio, preparing for rehearsal.
3 things that makes you happy: music, movies and my extended family (which includes my band, the crew and friends)
What’s your strangest talent? I grow grapes.
Home alone and you're bored. What do you do? This situation has not happened to me for years.
What is the strangest thing you have in your room? Poop shaped smiley pillow.
What are you really good at? I'm really good at coming up with really good ideas. If my music "life" would fail, I would create a company that produces really good ideas.
What are you really bad at? Chemistry
Childhood idol: Sam Rivers from Limp Bizkit
Childhood memory: The first rock festival I visited. I saw Guano Apes playing and I was really amazed by their bass player Stefan Ude. I thought that ohhh.. this could really be the thing I would like to do. Fast forward about 10 years and when Guano Apes was playing in Tallinn, my previous band had the epic opportunity to be the warm up act. So this concert and meeting the band was like a childhood dream come true.
Tell me something no one knows about you: :)
What would you do if you were invisible? Naughty stuff.
Favorite movie: Back To The Future trilogy
Favorite TV series: Last year I binge watched all Fringe seasons. I've never done this before with other series.
What is your guilty pleasure? Chocolate & synthesizers
Name a song that never fails to make you happy : Hexagram by Deftones. It always makes me happy, motivates and gives hope.
Can you teach me some interesting words in Estonian? As most probably all other estonians are teaching you all the nice words- I will choose the word I dislike the most: ROSIN, which in English is raisin.
Name: Mikk Simson
Birthday: 09.07.1986
Height: 1,8 m
Favorite color: Black
Favourite food: Pizza/Lasagne/Indian/Chinese
What do you do in the band: Play the drums
Where are you right now? In the studio
3 things that makes you happy: drumming, great conversation, silence
What’s your strangest talent? Hypnosys
Home alone and you're bored. What do you do? Practice the drums or watch a movie
What is the strangest thing you have in your room? A very weird sculpture given to me as a present from a friend
What are you really good at? Drumming, time management
What are you really bad at? Drawing and singing
Childhood idol: Nirvana and The Prodigy
Childhood memory: Driving my bike at my country house in summer when time seemed endless and life without a care in the world
Tell me something no one knows about you: I'm really a geek/nerd although it doesn't show
What would you do if you were invisible? Go to see the best bands in the world live and in the studio. I would sit next to the drummers and engineers and watch them work.
Favorite movie: Pulp Fiction, El secreto de sus ojos,  Monty Python's Meaning of Life
Favorite TV series: Breaking Bad, House of Cards,
What is your guilty pleasure? Pizza and kinky erotica
Name a song that never fails to make you happy : The Mars Volta " Viscera Eyes" because of it's amazing groove, the whole Amputechture
Can you teach me some interesting words in Estonian? jäääär = the edge of ice

How would you describe the band?
Our light guy Meelis always describes us as the most nerd'ish band in Estonia.  We can't really disagree with that. I would like to describe us with our concerts- Its like getting hit in the face really hard with a bundle of epicness, sweet emotions and dance.
Tell me about the name of the band:
As one could hear, the songs we do are not very experimental. But the process of creating them is like doing experiments with eachothers so thats where the name comes from.

You are one of the 20 participants of Eesti Laul 2016. How did it all begin?
During 2015 we were recording our debut album. So in June we chose from 25 demos the final 10 that we all felt really strong about and continued with producing them. Patience was one of the newest songs and also one of the most ready songs we had so we decided to submit it and one other song to the competition. I can't say that the best song won, but Patience was most definatelly the most suitable song.
Photo by by Evert Palmets, Mart Sepp, Eiko Lainjärv
“Patience” is the title of your song, what’s the strory behind it?
We are very lucky to be surrounded by people who we can call our friends and during the many years they have helped us with advice and their knowledge about music and life in general. Also, the best thing we learned while creating this album was to have patience and to embrace the process. So "Patience" is like a "Thank You Note" for the people who have helped us and also the introduction to the whole album.
Describe the song with 4 words:
You must have patience.

What can we expect to see on stage for the performance?
Right now we have 2 good ideas. Haven't still chosen the best one yet. Most definatelly there will be super many lights.
Photo by by Evert Palmets, Mart Sepp, Eiko Lainjärv
Have you heard any of the other songs in the competition? Any favorite?
Yes, I think the overall favourites of our band are Play by Jüri Pootsman, Seis by Mick Pedaja and Immortality by Cartoon & Kristel. But also Purr Mudds song.
Photo by by Evert Palmets, Mart Sepp, Eiko Lainjärv
Tell me the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word:
Time: Always a little bit too less.
Woods: The Pirita Kose woods near my home
Racoon: The hat that the Native Americans wear
Nightmare: Always very thrilling.
Peach: Bodycream that nice girls use.
Dream: A must have item in your life
Photo by by Evert Palmets, Mart Sepp, Eiko Lainjärv
What are your plans for 2016?
We are going to release our album in Spring and also some music videos I can't really talk about right now. A lot of touring in the Baltics, hopefully Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Slovakia, Germany, Finland.

Is there anything you want to say to close the interview?
We are very grateful for all the feedback we've received already. If you like Patience wait for the whole album. We hope to excite and amaze you!
Also- sign up for our "Secrets" newsletter at www.iwearexperiment.com/secrets. We have one plan with all the people who have liked the song. We would need your help in creating this secret worldwide campaign.
+ Next week we are doing a big Q&A session at Youtube. So please take part in that too! More information about that via our Twitter/Facebook/Instagram account soon.
Photo by by Evert Palmets, Mart Sepp, Eiko Lainjärv
Thanks to the band for the interview, good luck in Eesti laul!

Official website: http://iwearexperiment.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/iwearexperiment
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/iwearexperiment/

No comments:

Post a Comment