Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Moi: "I trust the intuitive feeling a word, melody or a chord gives me"

MGP ALERT! The 15 songs from MGP 2014 will be released tomorrow and im here to post a really good interview with one of the participants from the 3rd semifinal. Here are the answers of MOI:

Name: Ingjerd Moi
Birthday: 26. november
Favorite Color: clear blue (at the moment)
Where are you right now? my kitchen table in Vålerenga, Oslo
3 things that makes you happy: talented people, a good view and music
What’s your strangest talent? hammerthrow maybe?
Do you have any nicknames? no, unfortunately. its ingjerd or moi
Home alone and your bored. What do you do? never happens. I’m comfortable in my own company and theres always way too many things I should have done. That’s what you get for having this kind of a job.
What is the strangest thing you have in your room? maybe others would find something strange - but I think it’s pretty normal.
What are you really good at? music and getting things done.
What are you really bad at? chess and stuff that goes waaay too slow..
Childhood idol: Alanis Morisette
Childhood memory: sheep, mountains, camping and my dad taking me skiing in the middle of the night whenever there was a full moon.
What would you do if you were invisible? Have no idea. start singning in the streets?
Favorite movie: oh - I really don’t know. Haven’t had time to go to the movies for ages.
Favorite TV series: The danish version of The Killing and Breaking Bad.
Tell me a super power you wish you had: heal people
What is your guilty pleasure? love watching Keeping up with the Kardashians as I let myself fall asleep
Name a song that never fails to make you happy: The Ark, Calleth you, cometh I
Tell me some of your bad habits: I never want to loose more sleep than necessary, so I give myself 15 minutes from I wake up till I have to leave home. Leaves me usually without makeup and a beanie. 
When did you start singing and writing? when I was around 5 or 6 years old.
Can you teach me some interesting words in Norwegian? my favourite word is sort of similar to english, but I love the meaning and the sound; fleksibel
If you were the journalist what would you ask to Moi? and tell me your answer.
- well I would ask her why she’s still going. I would answer - I have no idea. something about that first love.
Photo: Jonas Jeremiassen Tomter
Hello Moi, Welcome to MGP! How are you?
I’m good, thank you very much!

How would you describe yourself as an artist?
I’m a curious doer. I trust the intuitive feeling a word, melody or a chord gives me. I dont have a stict idea of what my music should be or sound like, I’m easily distracted and can love all types of music. lyrics are as important as the melody/sound to me. 
Up until now Moi has been all about pop music. Melodies and lines that make you drift. There’s no rules, as long as it feels good.
Tell us a bit about your career:
Surrounded by mountains in the south of Norway, with hardly any TV and radio reception, I started writing songs when I was six. Don’t know where it came from, don’t have musicians in my family. Moved to Tasmania when I was 17 and started writing songs in English and bought a second hand guitar. Came back to Norway with no doubt; I was gonna be a musician. Came third in a talent competition at my local radio (2003), got picked up by a producer, and have been going since. Playing around Norway, doing Moi and other projects, including writing for other artists. Found it hard to find inspiration in 2009, decided to leave my ipod at home – went backpacking in Asia for seven months. Climbed peaks in the Himalayas, looking after sheep at the border between Mongolia and Russia. Came back to Norway, went thorugh my computer and heard the songs I had made with my producer Erlend Fauske just before the trip. Thought I’d give them one last chance, posted them on NRKs page URØRT (similar to myspace). The week after P3 listed one of my songs, Universal called and I got in the URØRT of the year final. Not long after I won a competition to make the best cover version of the Norwegian success band Kaizers Orchestra’s song Hjerteknuser. That made me rediscover singing in my own dialect, and since then I have been writing Norwegian lyrics. Now my third album is finished – due to be released after the MGP.

You are one of the 15 participants of MGP 2014, how did it all begin?
I got a phonecall from the norwegian jury asking me to sing a song for the Norwegian final - there was no immediate click - they asked to hear some of my songs from the forthcoming album, by mistake Bensin was included (it’s a two year old song) - but that was the one they wanted, and they convinced me it was a great ESC song. Now I’m glad the song gets a chance to get some attention - after all there’s hours of work in it..

"Bensin" is the title of your song, what can you tell me about it? whats the story behind the song? what made you write it?
I’ve had the headline of the song for years in my notebook. Often happens that way, I have a word, a feeling or a picture in my mind that I know one day will become a song - but I cant finish it whenever I want, have to wait for the moment. And after a run up Fløyen (mountain in Bergen) - I came home and had the first lines of the chorus. then, together with my producer Erlend Fauske, we made the sound of the verses. He’s a BRILLIANT man - so happy to have made the song what it is with him.

Describe the song with 4 words:
honest, as-pop-as-you-can-get, intimate, confusing

Lets talk about the performance, what can we expect to see on stage?
I want to really deliver the lyrics. I will be alone on the stage - as I usually are. I want to play with different lights and make them be the pulse of the song.
Did you watch Eurovision 2013? any favorite?
I was proud of our own Margaret Berger of course!

What do you like about Eurovision?
It’s so grand! 

Give me the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word:
2013: too much to do
Fear: loose my voice
Watermelon: summer
Norway: beautiful
Stage: love
Cats: want one
Sunrise: yes please. alone on a mountain after a hard morning run to get up there
Dreams: too many
Photo: Anders Halvorsen Bergh / NRK
What are your plans for 2014?
Work less, release an album

Is there anything you want to say to close the interview?
Thanks so much for your interest in Moi! seriously. Thanks!
Photo: NRK
Thanks to Moi for the lovely interview! Wish her all the best in MGP! Go Moi!

Official Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/moiofficial
Instagram: http://instagram.com/ingjerdmoi

No comments:

Post a Comment