Saturday, January 18, 2014

Ellen Benediktson: "I would never compromise and do something I didn’t like and couldn’t stand for"

Photo: Martin Botvidsson
Hello everyone! Its Saturday and im here to post a Melodifestivalen interview! Last year she was part of the Eurovision stand-in rehearsals and now she is one of the participants from the 1st semifinal! Here are the answers of ELLEN BENEDIKTSON:

Name: Ellen Benediktson
Birthday: 25th of April
Height: 165 cm
Favorite Color: Sparkly colours
Favourite food: Carrot soup with a really tasty freshly baked bread
Eye color: Green-brown
Where are you right now? At home with a cat on my knee
What’s your strangest talent? I don’t have any strange talent, only fabulous and original ones!
Do you have any nicknames? No, I’m not that fond of nicknames actually. I prefer to 
call people by their full name. 
Home alone and you're bored. What do you do? Put on a Depeche Mode record
What is the strangest thing you have in your room? When I was younger I had empty water bottles from concerts which my big idol had drunken from. Nowadays, I keep them hidden in my closet, to nostalgic to throw them away.
What are you really good at? I’m quite good at listening and to give advices
What are you really bad at? Well, I can be quite stubborn sometimes…
Childhood idol: Ola Salo, a singer in the Swedish band The Ark
Childhood memory: Which one!?
Favorite movie: Tim Burton-movies are great!
Favorite TV series: Orange is The New Black and Six Feet Under
Tell me something no one knows about you: If I told you, someone would know.
What would you do if you were invisible? I wouldn’t want to be invisible. Too much loneliness.
Tell me a super power you wish you had: I consider myself superwoman already! 
What is your guilty pleasure? The tv-serie Once upon a time. Bad acting and many times very poorly made… But I still have to look at the third season.
Name a song that never fails to make you happy: Right now, it’s Hard out Here with Lily Allen
Describe yourself with 3 words: Dedicated, thoughtful, sympathetic 
When did you start singing? I’ve sung as long as a can remember
If you were the journalist what would you ask to Ellen Benediktson? and tell me your answer.
The most interesting questions are those you are not prepared to get or did not expect. Those are the fun ones. So I leave the questioning to the questioners and hopefully they will surprise me.
Can you teach me some interesting words in Swedish? Well, Songbird for example is called Sångfågel in Swedish.
Photo: Martin Botvidsson
Hello Ellen! The Melodifestivalen is getting closer, how do you feel right now?
I try to take good care of my voice and body and try to not think too much, just have fun and go with the flow. 

How would you describe yourself as an artist?
I have a very definite opinion of who I am and who I want to be as an artist. When it comes to my music I would never compromise and do something I didn’t like and couldn’t stand for.
Tell us about your experience at the eurovision 2013 stage:
It was an amazing experience and I learned a lot. It was also at that point I started thinking that I may actually succeed as a musician. That I, even though it’s a tough industry, actually would stand a chance. Didn’t know it would happen so soon though!

You are one of the 32 participants of Melodifestivalen 2014, how did it all begin?
When I acted out as a stand-in for France, I somehow caught Christer Björkman’s eye. I got a lot of appreciation and good reviews from the Melodifestival-crew and that meant a lot of course. Although I was chocked when Christer Björkman called me in October and said he had a song for me. I had to decide over a night if I should take the offer or not. I said yes, and got into a studio the following day to record a demo of the song. Two days later I was in the competition! It all happened so fast, it took a while for me to take it all in. 
"Songbird" is the title of your song, what can you tell me about it? whats the story behind the song?
It’s a ballad. Very soft and fragile, though still got power in it. It sort of moves like a crescendo, starting of real soft with a big final at the end. The lyrics are very beautiful. Filled with a feeling of trying to find strength in hard times. When you need to relay on something else, maybe your voice, your inner Songbird. 
What did you feel the 1st time you heard it?
That the answer was a definite yes!

Describe the song with 4 words
Melancholic, Fragile, Powerful and beautiful

Lets talk about the performance, what can we expect to see on stage?
Enthralling seduction. You’ll forget to breath, letting the music overflow your senses. 
Do you know what you are going to wear for the semifinals? any hint?
It’s going to be elegant and filled with movement. 

What do you think about the other participants in semifinal 1?
I think it’s a great variation of different artist, both new and old once, and a good variation of genres. I think number 6 is a good start number for my song. It will break though as special after all upbeat songs.
Who was your favorite in Eurovision 2013?
Definitely France. That song was so cooooool!!!!!

What do you like about Eurovision?
The great variation of cultures.  

Tell me the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word:
2013: A year filled with adventures.
Ikea: Wouldn’t ever shop there
Melodi nummer 6: Ma numba’!
France: Dressing up in black, sipping from a cup of black coffee in the sun at a stereotypic French café in Paris!
Watermelon: I like apples better
Fear: a necessity in life, but don’t let it take you over.
Stage: Alter ego home
Dreams: are beautiful
Malmö: Little Berlin
What are your plans for 2014?
This year brings lots of expectations. I hope to record my first EP-album. I hope the music on it will be some of my own work and I hope people will think it’s as cool as I think. Otherwise I let the future show what it has to offer for me and hopefully it will be all good.

Is there anything you want to say to close the interview?
I think you got it all. Looooaaaddds of questions

Thanks to Ellen for the answers! Lycka till in Melodifestivalen!

Here is her Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/EllenBenediktsonOfficial
Instagram: http://instagram.com/ellenbenediktson

No comments:

Post a Comment