Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Fredi: We will try to keep the performance really classy and minimal.

The first interview of the year is coming from Estonia. "Write about me" was the song I liked the most once I heard all the EL 2020 entries, not only because of its lyrics and production but because of how the instruments and Anett's voice play with the song's mood. To learn more about half of this act, here are Fredi's answers:
Name: Frederik Küüts
Birthday: 28/04/1999
Height: 175cm
Favorite color: black
Favorite food: pasta
What’s your strangest talent? I don’t know if I have one
What is the strangest thing you have in your room? An African mask
What are you really good at? Driving
What are you really bad at? Lying
Childhood idol: Freddie Mercury 
Childhood memory: Everything to do with my family
Celebrity crush: Keira Knightley
Tell me something no one knows about you: I’m really into ASMR
Who would you cast to play you in a movie about your life? Jake Gyllenhaal
What would the title of that movie be? “?”
Favorite movie: Joker
Favorite TV series: Friends
Dish/Snack/Beverage we should try if we ever visit Estonia: Kohuke
What is your guilty pleasure? ASMR
If you were a girl for a day, what would you do? Probably touch my boobs a lot.
Can you recommend us a song (old or new) from an Estonian artist? Vaiko Eplik - Mõtetes Mõrudais
Can you teach me some interesting words in Estonian? Kuulilennuteetunneliluuk is an actual word in Estonian. It’s the same word when read backwards.
Hello Fredi! Welcome to the Eurovision world!

How would you describe yourself as an artist?
- Pretty hectic I guess. I’m still searching for my thing. I’m really into hip-hop and RnB tho. 

You are one of the participants of Eesti Laul 2020. How did it all begin?
- We just wrote a song with Anett and by the time we finished Anett suggested we applied for Eesti Laul. I didn’t think it would go through but it was worth giving a shot.

“Write about me” is the title of your song, what’s the story behind it?
- I started writing songs from a pretty early age and at some point it was a really natural thing for me, to write songs about things and people who made me feel some kind of way. That was just my way of getting things off my chest. I was just wondering if everybody could write songs - what would they write about. And adding that romantic touch to it, as I tend to do, lead me to the main lyric. That was pretty much the only thing we had in the beginning, Anett really loved the idea and we started writing from there. Everything else just came into place - when Anett suggested that we’d change the choruses a bit every time, to make it into sort of timeline, that was when everything got really easy. The song is kind of self-explanatory: one side of the relationship is willing to give more than the other and overtime they start to grow apart. We’re both super happy about how it turned out!
Tell us about the process of creating and producing the song?
- I was having bit of a tough time writing-wise this past summer and I just remembered how many of the co-writing sessions had been uplifting in that sense. So I arranged some sessions with artists that I had wanted to work with for a long time. Anett agreed to come by my place and we listened to some demos. I had this guitar part down and she really liked it so we worked our way up from there together. By the time the song was written I asked my friend Mairo Marjamaa to write a brass-part and after recording all the instruments in different studios it only came down to finishing touches. My friend Ago Teppand helped me a lot at that time, so a big shoutout to him!

What can we expect to see on stage for the performance? (Will you be there with Anett?)
- We’ll both be up on the stage. We will try to keep it really classy and minimal. No fancy fireworks from us!

Have you heard any of the other songs in the competition? Any favorite?
- As for the other Eurovision songs, then no. I have a lot of friends competing at Eesti Laul this year and all of them have great songs. Some of them I like more than others but I don’t really like picking favourites. 

What do you like about Eurovision?
- I like the platform that it gives aspiring artist.

What do you dislike about Eurovision?
- That instrumentalists and producers don’t get enough credit.

Tell me the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word:
Support: friends
Birds: flying
Reality: sad
Messy: thoughts
Guitar: home

What are your plans for 2020?
- Performing, producing and traveling. 

Is there anything you want to say to close the interview?
- I’d really appreciate if you’d go and listen to our song! Anett x Fredi - Write About Me 
Thanks to Fredi for the interview.

Facebook: frederikkyyts
Instagram: frederikkyyts

No comments:

Post a Comment