Monday, December 14, 2020

Patrik Jean: "I really try to pour my emotions into my music, and tell honest stories"

Photo: Magnus Ragnvid

Nothing makes me happier than getting into the melodifestivalen mood and what better way to do that than interviewing one of the acts that we will all be listening to and loving next February, here are Patrik's answers:

Name: Patrik Jean

Birthday: May 3, 1990

Height: 184 cm

Favorite color: Orange

What’s your strangest talent? I have to be boring and say I can’t think of any strange talents I have. Let me get back to you once I’ve learned how to do a death drop. 

What is the strangest thing you have in your room? I have some strange decorations like some ostrich eggs, a fencing helmet and porcelain doll heads. 

What are you really good at? Singing, and maybe baking. Especially singing while baking! 

What are you really bad at? Organizing my closet. Thank god I came out of it. 

Childhood memory: I have a lot of memories forcing my family to watch me sing and perform in the living room. Especially songs by Robyn, cause ”Robyn Is Here” (1995) was my first record. Or it wasn’t really mine, I just stole it from my sister. 

Celebrity crush: Maluma.

Who would you cast to play you in a movie about your life? I would probably cast myself, cause acting would be so much fun to try. But If I had to choose someone else it would have to be someone gay who can tell that story, so maybe Charlie Carver from Desperate Housewives. 

What would the title of that movie be? A Goofy Movie? But that’s taken so maybe using one of my song titles like ”The Talk with Patrik Jean” or something cheesy like ”Mr Prosecco”.

Favorite movie: Sister Act 2 with Lauryn Hill.

Favorite TV series: Euphoria

Dish/Snack/Beverage/Candy we should try if we ever visit Sweden: Things like meatballs and our "candy cars" are classics. But the list of dishes NOT to eat is probably longer. There are some very interesting dishes here that are not for everyone, like ”surströmming”.

What is your guilty pleasure? RuPaul’s Dragrace. I can’t get enough. 

Can you recommend us a song (old or new) from an Swedish artist? Seinabo Sey is a national treasure, and I could listen to her song ”Still” for life. 

Can you teach us some interesting words in Swedish? Jag är beroende av Eurovision. It means ”I’m addicted to Eurovision” ;) 

Photo: Magnus Ragnvid

Hej Patrik, Welcome back to the eurovision universe, how have you been doing?

Thank you! I’ve been doing well. I think there's been some ups and downs for all of us lately, but it led me here so I can’t complain. 


How would you describe yourself as an artist?

I would say that I’m a bit of an emotional wreck. I really try to pour my emotions into my music, and tell honest stories. Sometimes the stories are happy, but most of the time I find it easier to write about sad stuff like heartbreak.

You were one of the songwriters of the song that won last year (Move by The Mamas), how was the experience of competing in mello as a songwriter?

It was insane. From the day we wrote the song, we felt it was really special. And every step of the way, from recording The Mamas to seeing them on that stage, it all just felt right. I will remember the joy and love during that finale for the rest of my life. 

The cancellation of Eurovision 2020 was heart breaking for all the fans but it must have been even worse for all those teams that were going to take part in the contest, how was it for you?

Everyone in our team worked really hard with this song and performance, so it was sad of course. I know the ladies would have done an amazing job. But I’m so thankful that we at least got to experience the Swedish finale in a sold out arena. Can’t wait to experience that again.


You are one of the participants of Melodifestivalen 2021. How did it all begin?

Well, I think I’ve been on my way for a long time. I’ve been involved in Melfest a few years as a back-up singer and last year as a songwriter. Meanwhile I’ve been building my own solo career outside of Melodifestivalen. It just felt like it was time to merge the two now. 

"Tears run dry” is the title of your song, and its written by you, Herman Gardarfve and Melanie Wehbe. How was it working with them?

Herman and Melanie are close friends to me, and we work a lot together. We always have the best time, and since we know each other so well the writing process is usually very smooth. I can’t imagine a better team to share my artist debut in Melodifestivalen with. 

Photo: Magnus Ragnvid

What’s the story behind the song?

The night before our writing session I had this chorus idea in the middle of the night. I always have my phone next to my bed so I can record voice memos, cause this happens a lot. Usually it’s just random humming that you can’t understand when you listen back the day after. But when I played this idea for Melanie and Herman, they heard the potential and understood where I was heading. So we wrote the whole song that day, and I knew straight away I had to send this to Melodifestivalen.

Photo: Magnus Ragnvid

What's the process of creating a performance for mello like and who are you working with in that area?

It’s really fun! Together with the creative team at Melodifestivalen I get to hand pick the people I feel comfortable with. It’s too soon to get into specifics but I already feel the performance is gonna be more than I could ever dream of. 

I'm a big fan of Swedish language music and these last couple of years I have felt that it hasn't been represented as it deserves in Mello (If we compare it to those songs in the charts). Out of the 65 songs that have finished in the top 5 from 2008 to 2020 only 10 have been in swedish, why do you think the mello world prefers english songs? 

I think a lot of viewers wanna send a song that the rest of Europe will understand. I definitely don’t think it’s impossible for a Swedish song to win, but unfortunately it might be a bit harder for them. 

If you could invite any artist (that makes music in swedish) to mello, who would you pick?

It would be awesome to see Miss Li in Mello. 


What do you like about Eurovision?

I like how all types of people can get representation and feel accepted just the way they are. 

What do you dislike about Eurovision?

That it’s a competition, I guess. I’m not competitive at all. I’m just happy to hear music from different parts of the world. 

Tell me the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word:

Time travel: Dinosaurs

Bubblegum: Britney

Socks: Winter

Otter: Cute

Applause: GAGA! 

Is there anything you want to say to close the interview?

Thank you so much for having me! 


Thanks to Patrik for the interview!

Instagram: patrikjean

Facebook: PatrikJeanMusic

1 comment:

  1. Do you need personal loan?
    Loan for your home improvements,
    Mortgage loan,
    Debt consolidation loan,
    Commercial loan,
    Education loan,
    Car loan,
    Loan for assets.
    financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com WhatsApp +918929509036

    ReplyDelete